Sunday, September 22, 2013

70.3 World Championships: Every race is different

I always feel like the timing around the 70.3 Worlds is very chaotic. I came into this year's event fresh off of my biggest training week of the year at 21 hours. This, relatively, high training volume is necessary as I prepare for Kona five weeks after 70.3's. In spite of the high training volume, I was feeling really good after my 5 day taper. I had a condensed schedule on Friday leading into the race. I have to give huge thanks to two of my teammates: Bruce Gennari and Bo Parish for picking me up at the airport @ 3:30pm and getting me to registration by 4pm. I had a great weekend hanging out with both Bruce and Bo. 70.3VegasBruce_Bo It's always a privilege to spend time with my teammates at big events. We had a very nice team breakfast Saturday morning after our 70.3Vegasteambfastwarm-up swim in Lake Las Vegas. As usual Tristan Brown and Chris Davidson were fantastic in helping all of us prepare for the big race on Sunday. Tristan pointed out how my front tire was not properly glued to my wheel and would have rolled right off if I had tried to race with it. Chris managed to find and fix my bent rear derailleur. Ugh, so I guess I'm not the most mechanically inclined person out there. Rule # 1 is know your limitations. Once those minor obstacles were resolved we headed over to Whole Foods to pick up our race morning nutrition and a few snacks. I grabbed my usual breakfast foods and headed for the counter. As I was checking out, I thought that I might need a snack before dinner. I looked around and saw some fresh salsa and home made tortilla chips. I thought this would be the perfect pre-race snack. We then headed over to rack our bikes.70.3Vegasbikerack Then it was time to relax a little bit before dinner. This is where I had a bit of a scare. As we were walking over to dinner, I started to feel really dizzy and lightheaded. I ordered dinner but quickly realized that it was not going to happen. I was getting very nauseous. Maybe those chips and salsa were not such a good idea after all. I decided to head back to the room and rest. By the time I got back to the room I had the chills and I knew that I needed to try to get some sleep and hope for the best. It was 6:30pm, but I was feeling terrible and really worried about my chances of racing. I took my Standard Process supplements before I jumped into bed. Fortunately, I was able to get those down without any issues. I quickly fell asleep and did not wake up until 3:30am. Fortunately, I felt fine when I woke up. Bruce and I went down and had breakfast. I was able to get all of my normal nutrition in and I was excited again to race. I was really happy with how my race went. The conditions were quite different than anticipated, but they were the same for everyone. Here's a relatively short video recap of my race: Race Recap Swim: 30:05 / Bike: 2:24:23 / Run: 1:22:48 / 47th Overall / 1st M40-44 Vegasawards Thank you to Timex, Quintana Roo, Shimano, Blue Seventy, Champion System and all of our fantastic sponsors. A special thank you to Mac McEneaney for the Craps lesson post race. It would not have been a proper trip to Vegas without experiencing Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment